[Vm-dev] Building on Alpine Linux

Pierce Ng pierce at samadhiweb.com
Sun Jul 21 00:20:06 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 02:35:54PM -0300, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> I read you say "I've successfully built the pharo.cog.spur.minheadless
> OpenSmalltalk VM on Alpine Linux."
> Can you elaborate more on that? Where did you put your work? A separate
> branch/fork? Did you change the VM to link against musl?
> Did it compile out of the box?

It compiled more or less out of the box. The changes I made were mostly
to link with additional libraries for functionality that on Alpine have
been put into those libraries. I made these changes by modifying the
output of cmake, which is the reason for my mail to this list: I want to
to find out which files to modify so that cmake produces the right
output for Alpine. Then I'll create a branch/PR.

> What our happened in our case is that even if `musl` would give us a
> compatible API in the sense the VM would compile, then, on usage we
> detected things that internally had different behaviors (like iconv). Did
> you encounter anything of this?

That's what I'll find out.  As written in my post said Cog VM
successfully runs a minimal Pharo image doing FFI and Fuel.

I'll be testing it with the regular image running some kind of webapp.

I've also put the Docker image on Dockerhub, but I just looked again and
see that it is missing libgit2, libssh2, etc., so probably no good for
running the regular Pharo image for now.

Pierce