[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.400.mcz

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sat May 4 21:53:24 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 11:01 PM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 01:45:13AM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 4 May 2019 at 06:11, <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> > > Instead of this:
> > > This interpreter (vers. 0) cannot read image file (vers. 68021).
> > > Press CR to quit...
> >
> > It seems useful to also say "a 32-bit VM is trying to read a 64-bit
> image"?
> >

> It's not a 32-bit VM. The most common case is a 64-bit VM running a 32-bit
> image.

You are correct, but I think Ben's point was to support novice users in
understanding what's going on (without having to know what, for example,
68021 means).

Why not something like: "This VM only supports 64-bit Sista images, but a
32-bit v3 image was provided." That would help users to select the right VM
for their image at [1].

Fabio

[1]
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/releases/tag/201901172323