[Vm-dev] Linux Squeak VM X11 keyboard changes?

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 27 04:41:02 UTC 2019

On 25/05/19 12:38 PM, Alistair Grant wrote:
> My guess is that this is the relevant commit:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/1b837f94e96b93cb4d117ccdd010825d76dcde57#diff-e9d387f49791b823a087221b733a10b8
>
>  But there's nothing obviously 32 / 64 bit dependent that I can see.

I did some more tracing. The bad 32b VM is returning a different
modifier bit (64 instead of 16) in the keyboard event compared to the
good VMs. See attached pics.

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem.

  * start the image with good vm (first round) and bad vm (second round)
  * press skip
  * world menu -> workspace. Type 3+4
  * Type dispatchOnKey in search bar
  * In the method pane of the result, type "self halt" just above
"backspace ...."
  * right click -> accept
  * select workspace and press Ctrl-p. This will throw a Halt dialog
  * select debug and click on dispatchOnKeyboardEvent (one level below)
  * right click on aKeyboardEvent in variable pane and select explore.
  * expand "buttons" slot to get the modifier bits.

The 32b VMs were run on Ubuntu 16.04 (64b) with 32b compat libraries. I
don't have access to a native 32b linux.

Regards .. Subbu