[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] suspect code in sqUnixFileCopyPlugin.c (#442)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri Nov 1 21:36:38 UTC 2019

> On 2019-11-01, at 2:23 PM, Nicolas Cellier <notifications at github.com> wrote:
>
> Given the introductory comment, shouldn't we just nuke the whole thing?

Almost certainly yes. It was a deliberately tacky quick hack done nearly 20 years ago as a way to copy a file with assorted metadata intact, mostly necessitated by Andreas' barking mad determination to have the VMMaker related file tree in a totally nuts layout. As best I recall it isn't used anymore but - warning - I haven't checked in a good while.

What we *should* have is a way to do it cleanly from the image, by using a well designed file handling regime. I know, I know, I'll stop there so you can cease laughing hysterically and catch your breath.

tim
Strange OpCodes: JTC: Jump To Conclusions