[Vm-dev] ARM emulation alternatiaves

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu Nov 28 21:50:13 UTC 2019

Following a thread from a post in my feed led me to... Dynarmic - A dynamic
recompiler for ARM.
https://github.com/MerryMage/dynarmic

and from there on to... VisUAL -  a highly visual ARM emulator
https://salmanarif.bitbucket.io/visual/index.html
It seems only to do a subset of instructions, so maybe not practical for
working with Cog,
but a few of the features could potentially aid debugging generated code...
* users can navigate program history by browsing past register values. This
feature can help debugging and understanding complex code easier.
* Pointers in ARM assembly can be quite difficult to understand, especially
since ARM assembly has 9 different variations of pointer behaviour when it
comes to load/store instructions. VisUAL provides an information pane that
displays useful pointer information when needed.
* Instructions to load/store multiple instructions in the form of a stack
can be visualised.

cheers -ben