[Vm-dev] Audio problems on Linux - part 2 (PulseAudio)

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 03:10:11 UTC 2019

I'm not able to get the PulseAudio driver working on Debian 10.  When I try
squeak -vm-sound-pulse I get:
dlopen:
/tmp/sqcogspur64linuxht-20190724/lib/squeak/5.0-201907242041/vm-sound-pulse.so:
undefined symbol: pa_simple_write
could not find module vm-sound-pulse
Aborted

When I run squeak --help I get the following listed as available drivers:
  vm-sound-null
  vm-sound-OSS
  vm-sound-NAS
  vm-display-null
  vm-display-fbdev
  vm-display-X11

Finally I do an ls of the vm library directory and see the .a and .so files
for vm-sound-ALSA, vm-sound-NAS, vm-sound-null, vm-sound-OSS, and
vm-sound-pulse.

Assuming the PulseAudio driver should be working, I'm not clear on whether
this is a VM build issue, a missing package on my system, or some other
unresolved issue on Debian.  Suggestions appreciated...