[Vm-dev] Off-topic: Intel Core i9-9880H vs. Xeon E-2276M

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue Sep 24 10:40:44 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 13:55, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope you don't mind a somewhat off-topic question:  Does anyone
> happen to know which will be faster for running Smalltalk (i.e. single
> threaded application, and given the rest of the laptop is the same):
>
> Intel Core i9-9880H vs. Xeon E-2276M
>

> IntelĀ® Xeon E-2276M, 6 Core, 12M Cache, 2.80GHz, 4.70GHz Turbo, 35W, vPro
>
> IntelĀ® CoreTM i9-9880H Processor, 8 Core, 16MB Cache, 2.30GHz, 4.80GHz
> Turbo, 35W, vPro

Purely guesswork... that the 12MB cache is already huge and the 16MB not
much more impactful.
Obviously we ignore the number of cores.
Clock frequency should have the biggest impact for single-threaded apps,
which primarily points to the Xeon, but I don't know how to judge the i9
turbo being faster.
Probably on a laptop you won't have the thermal overhead to run turbo too
much.

By the numbers...

PassMark - CPU Mark - Single Thread Performance
Intel Xeon E-2276M @ 2.80GHz      2,684 (78%)          $450.00
Intel Core i9-9880H @ 2.30GHz       2,548  (74%)         $556.00

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i9-9880H-vs-Intel-Xeon-E-2276M/3456vs3489