[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Solaris (#479)

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:37:36 UTC 2020

On 06/04/20 11:42 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:

>> On 06.04.2020, at 08:00, K K Subbu<kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>..I would expect alpha and possibly beta to use debug but RC or release versions to optimize aggressively for speed. Debug builds may be instrumented for bounds check, initialized alloc, leak checks, overflow checks etc. These could slow down squeak vm.
> That_really_  depends. And actually, why should writing debug info into the binary slow things down?
> It at most increases the size of the binary. Optimization on GCC/clang is only handled via the -O?? flag.

It is not just debug info. Read my reasons carefully - debug options may
insert code for bounds check, initialize malloc memory etc.

> TL;DR: there is really no need to remove '-g' on gcc/clang, even in release builds.

It would be easy to check if -g has an impact on performance. Just
generate a bintray build with just "-O3" and we can run a quick
benchmark to check if there is any significant impact on the
performance. This will give us hard data to make a decision. If there is
no impact, then your may revert to status quo.

Regards .. Subbu