[Vm-dev] How to create headless VM without some primitives?

Erik Stel erik.stel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:32:18 UTC 2020

Tim,

I agree, the effort to save bytes should not be too high.

If someone has some input/experience on using container technology to
limit/sandbox the environment I'm happy to hear about it. Using the
'default' headless VM would be very beneficial wrt not having to maintain
and build custom VM's.

A bit off topic, but I'm starting with a tiny image because of my use case:
I'm actually starting with a very small image. Currently I have an image of
150Kb which has basic classes (*) to gets things going and a WebSocket
class. Another Smalltalk image can send messages to the tiny image to get
performed and the tiny can send events back. With this mechanism additional
classes and methods are installed. Depending on what is installed the image
can stay relative small. The tiny image is based on PharoCandle (see
https://github.com/carolahp/PharoCandleSrc). The image currently runs inside
a browser using SqueakJS (and thereby becomes a Javascript-engine
replacement) or it runs as a NodeJS application. Pretty experimental still.
I would like to use this same image as the base for the cloud instances. And
probably use it for running on Raspberry Pi's as well (for users which do
not have or want to use the cloud). IF experiments do work out as currently
'planned' ;-).

(*) Strings, Numbers, Collections, Process stuff (i.e. no compiler, methods
are installed using bytecode)

Regards,
Erik

--