[Vm-dev] [Pharo-dev] Pony for Pharo VM

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Tue Apr 21 17:08:40 UTC 2020

Oh! OO is async message passing? Which Alan Kay lectures are you referencing? I would like to watch them.

The only thing I have heard you state is some requirement for near real-time that evidently the CogVM fails to meet. You have a language you do not really like, running on top of this near real-time garbage collector you claim Squeak fails at. This language introduces a type system to do compile-time analysis of actor messaging for some false sense of safety as well as optimization for performance. I would accept the second reasoning, if the near real-time requirement require such. I do not believe it does. A worst case 90 ms response time to a real-time event is absolutely sufficient. It sounds to me as if you are claiming requirements that only Pony/Orca can meet, thus justifying use of your language. In practically every near real-time system, such performance guarantees are met with a 90 ms delay. Unless you are justifying the language used by setting such a high bar...I have seen it happen.

No other language feature that I can see, but I may very well "not following the main thrust of the ideas we are discussing." So please review I am a little lost.

I re-added the list for discussions on requirements.

k, r

--
Kindly,
Robert