[Vm-dev] pulse audio default is not suitable for PI package

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Wed Apr 22 10:07:50 UTC 2020

On Wed, 22 Apr 2020, K K Subbu wrote:

> On 22/04/20 2:32 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>>
>> The recent change to default pulseaudio for linux VM packages may not be a
> very good idea for the Raspbian Pi system. I know we've some ... issues...
> with ALSA that have made for very unhappy people at times but at least in the
> Pi world pusleaudio is not considered any improvement. So much so that it is
> not included in the distro.
>>
>> See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=256225#p1562939 for
> a more or less official comment.
>>
>> Given that, I'd urge not setting that default for the linuxARM packages.
> Tim,
>
> Audio services on Linux can be quite complex and can vary depending on
> the active modules loaded and the sound servers running. Therefore it is
> better to detect this at VM launch time than hard-code it in VM.
>
> I just posted a PR [1] to auto-detect pulseaudio if it is installed and
> running or fallback to OSS service if not. This should work on RPi
> without any VM change (or perhaps the aoss wrapper).
>
> Could you please check and revert if it works for you? Thanks.

It won't help, because that is not the problem.
The problem is that some recent change messed up the depencencies and
added the dependencies of all possible binaries (vm and plugins) to
everything (vm and plugins).
So, the VM binary depends on pulseaudio, alsa, uuid, libutil even though
it doesn't actually use any of those, but it won't start unless those
dependencies are satisfied.
It's described the thread: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2020-April/033404.html

Levente