[Vm-dev] pulse audio default is not suitable for PI package

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:53:34 UTC 2020

Tobias,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:49 AM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> > apps like Squeak VM that use OSS
>
> Squeak does not  "use" OSS as such; it has several sound plugins; Alsa,
> Pulse, OSS, NAS etc.
> It probes which plugins are available.
> To be quite clear:
>         Squeak Can use  Pulse natively.
> no padsp necessary.

Not accurate, in my experience.  I've had numerous problems with the VM and
Pulse over the years (reported at least a couple of times here on the list,
never resolved for any length of time) and so I've fallen back to using
padsp to reliably get audio support for Squeak.  I'm currently running
Debian 10 and it has been a combination of various VM builds (needed to fix
issues) not including Pulse Audio support to sometimes the build includes
it but it just doesn't work.

> However, we have to see if the vm does the right thing if a plugin _can_
> load but the environment
> does not fit.
>
> In this case: vm-sound-oss loads but /dev/dsp0 is not there. in this case,
> continue trying or so…
>
> best regards
>         -tobias

Thanks,