[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] Looking for a new VM release candidate (was: Broken 5.3 downloads need fixing)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Apr 30 07:59:33 UTC 2020

Hi all!

I will now test 202004292351 [https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004292351] as a release candidate for a new VM release to be also used in Squeak 5.3 to fix ARM support.

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.04.2020 10:31:29 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
... followed by some bad news: No, 202004210425 won't do it:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/488 [https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/488]

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.04.2020 09:09:23 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
Hi Eliot,

thank you. That's good news. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.04.2020 02:12:27 schrieb Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:
Hi Marcel,

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 6:10 AM Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de [mailto:marcel.taeumel at hpi.de]> wrote:

Well, there are no builds for that version. Are you referring to the build 202004210425?
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004210425#files [https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/202004210425#files]

So, that would be like bleeding edge, right? Are there any experiments going in these days? Could someone sum up what happened since mid March there?

Things are pretty stable. There was one major change to how the VM moves from machine code into the interpreter, replacing a setjmp/longjmp pair with a much lighter-weight "jump-call with substituted return address". But this "just works".  We're able to perform experments without disturbinf=g trunk.  SO for example, adding makefiles to allow building of the VM under clang-cl.exe on Windows was done without affecting the other builds at all.

Best,
Marcel
Am 21.04.2020 15:04:39 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de [mailto:marcel.taeumel at hpi.de]>:
Hi Eliot.

> Can we please use  ... 202004192151 ...

Let's start running some tests with on this one.

Best,
Marcel