[Vm-dev] SqueakJS for Scratch (was: Questions on scratchJS:

stefano federici s_federici at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 19:07:14 UTC 2020

Will this make possible to run the BYOB 3.1.1 image (https://snap.berkeley.edu/old_site/old-byob.html) too? I need to run also this app in order to show to my students how to build procedures.

> Why do you particularly want the Scratch 1.4 ? MIT have moved on to Scratch 3, based on html5 or sometihng I don't care about. I certainly claim the 'real' stuff is better but I am of course biased.

Whereas Scratch 3 (and 2) are more performant, they lack a lot of features very important to me as a teacher, such as the "FOREVER IF" block, the position of the mouse pointer (Scratch 3), the possibility to easily shrink/enlarge/rotate the sprites by using the GUI buttons/menus, the possibility to easily see the full names of the sprites, a way to show a step-by-step execution, etc

Stefano

Stefano Federici
Università degli Studi di Cagliari
Facoltà di Studi Umanistici
Dipartimento di Pedagogia, Psicologia e Filosofia
Via Is Mirrionis 1, 09123 Cagliari, Italia
Tel: +39 349 818 1955 Fax: +39 070 675 7113

     Il domenica 9 febbraio 2020, 19:55:45 CET, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> ha scritto:

> On 2020-02-09, at 10:48 AM, stefano federici <s_federici at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim, thanks for your offer. What I need is a way of running Scratch 1.4 on the new MacOS Catalina, that "banned" 32bit applications.

Ah, of course. Related to a subject we have just been talking about - how to run 32bit images on 64 bit machines etc.

Happily we can solve this without any scary messing around since the source code can be loaded into a 64 bit image just as easily as into a 32bit one. Another nice bonus is that we get to keep all the Squeak goodness behind the scenes and can add new capabilities when needed.

Why do you particularly want the Scratch 1.4 ? MIT have moved on to Scratch 3, based on html5 or sometihng I don't care about. I certainly claim the 'real' stuff is better but I am of course biased.

tim
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul