[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] sqUnixXdnd: Don't record SQDragLeave when XdndDrop is handled (#508)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 9 01:17:23 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:50:57AM -0700, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:

> Inside Etoys-To-Go are old 32 Bit interpreter VMs, from before Cog was around. You need those to be able to run the Etoys image. On Linux, there used to be a simple way to install the 32 bit support even on a 64 bit system, but I don???t know what the current status is.
>
> That Etoys image might have some more support code for DnD handling than current Squeak. Not everything has been properly integrated back. @timfel did the bulk of that work.

The old interpreter VM in the Etoys-To_Go distribution still works fine
on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  I have 32-bit libraries installed as described in
Tom Beckman's earlier reply.

If you want to run Etoys on a native 64-bit VM, follow the instructions
at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to
do this, so allow yourself an hour of free time before you start, because
nothing ever goes right the first time

As a side note, Windows does a very good job of providing run-time backward
compatibility for old applications, so a Squeak running on a very old Windows
VM will almost always work. On Unix systems in general, and Linux in particular,
there is very good source-level portability but backward compatibility
for old compiled executables is not as good. The supporting runtime libraries
tend to get updated regularly, and after 5 or 10 years you can easily end up
with a compiled executable with runtime linkages to libraries that are no
longer present.