[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] sqUnixXdnd: Don't record SQDragLeave when XdndDrop is handled (#508)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 9 13:52:19 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 07:19:32AM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:

> > On 09.07.2020, at 03:17, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 10:50:57AM -0700, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:
> >>
> >> Inside Etoys-To-Go are old 32 Bit interpreter VMs, from before Cog was around. You need those to be able to run the Etoys image. On Linux, there used to be a simple way to install the 32 bit support even on a 64 bit system, but I don???t know what the current status is.
> >>
> >> That Etoys image might have some more support code for DnD handling than current Squeak. Not everything has been properly integrated back. @timfel did the bulk of that work.
> >>

> > The old interpreter VM in the Etoys-To_Go distribution still works fine
> > on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  I have 32-bit libraries installed as described in
> > Tom Beckman's earlier reply.
> >
> > If you want to run Etoys on a native 64-bit VM, follow the instructions
> > at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to
> > do this, so allow yourself an hour of free time before you start, because
> > nothing ever goes right the first time
> >
> > As a side note, Windows does a very good job of providing run-time backward
> > compatibility for old applications, so a Squeak running on a very old Windows
> > VM will almost always work. On Unix systems in general, and Linux in particular,
> > there is very good source-level portability but backward compatibility
> > for old compiled executables is not as good. The supporting runtime libraries
> > tend to get updated regularly, and after 5 or 10 years you can easily end up
> > with a compiled executable with runtime linkages to libraries that are no
> > longer present.
>
> BTW: Fedora ships a 64bit squeak interpreter vm that can run 323bit closure  and non-closure images.
> Except for a broken Rome-plugin, this works very fine for Etoys 5.0???

That's interesting, I did not know about that. If you get a chance,
could you please check the version information for that VM? Either
the contents of a system reporter in the image, or from the command
line "/usr/bin/squeak -version" (assuming it is installed in /usr/bin).

At one time there was a Debian package for the interpreter VM, but
it was badly broken, so it would be nice to know if someone has been
distributing one that works.

Thank you!