[Vm-dev] Selecting distributed plugins

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sun Mar 1 19:39:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Robert kindly asked me whether it would be possible to include DES and
MD5 plugins in OpenSmalltalk VM distribution.

> We currently generate src/plugins code for those 2, but don't compile
them.

There's also the SHA256Plugin which didn't see much use for sure.
MD5 is covered by the CroquetPlugin, and DES is pretty much outdated.
I suspect that neither of these plugins are ready for 64-bit compilation,
and they probably yield plenty of warnings because of typing issues.

> This raises the question: who decides which plugin gets
included/compiled/distributed or not? On which criterion?

IIRC these were included with the interpreter VM, but only after the Terf
VM branch was created. Since the latter became the current main branch, we
do not have those plugins in today's builds.

Levente

P.S.: I've got an unreleased package which implements MD5/SHA1/SHA2 hashes
in Smalltalk, optionally using DSAPrims and CroquetPlugin for the first
two. If there's interest, I can upload it somewhere.