[Vm-dev] building the vm on linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Mar 2 00:37:30 UTC 2020

On Sun, Mar 01, 2020 at 11:40:27PM +0000, Robert wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to re-establish my vm build on 64-bit linux. Is there
> an up to date page with linux instructions for installing/building the
> vm? squeakvm.org is down and some posts on squeak.org seem out of date
> (referencing the old archiver source). I would be grateful for a good link!

Hi Robert,

The VM project and sources for modern Squeak are hosted on GitHub at
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm. You can get started
by reading that web page, which will give you an overview and explanation
of how to get started.

I don't know if you are familiar with git, but basically what you want to
do is clone that repository to your own PC, and then look in the ./image
folder. There you will find some scripts that will allow you to make an
up-to-date VMMaker image on your own computer. You can use that image for
generating VM and plugin sources.

The repository that you clone to your PC will also contain a wide
range of build scripts for compiling the VM. If you are on a 64-bit
Linux system, the script that you will probably want to use is either
opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build/mvm or
opensmalltalk-vm/build.linux64x64/squeak.cog.spur/build.debug/mvm
(the latter building a VM with debugging enabled in the compiler).

FYI, the squeakvm.org site is still active, and building the original
portable VM works fine, and least on Linux. I use it myself on a regular
basis, expecially for plugin development. But for building a modern VM,
you need to use opensmalltalk-vm, so please take a look at the GitHub
site and give it a try.

HTH,