[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] SHA512 squeak implementation?

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Sat Mar 7 10:20:11 UTC 2020

Hi Robert,

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020, Robert wrote:

> Oh yes, Levente, I recall speaking with you about it. I would like to
> make a proposal. Do you think you could fold all those hash functions,
> without the HA, into the Cryptography library? We have a HashFunction
> class in there, I do not know how different they may be in their public
> interface. I think it would be valuable to combine them. To support TLS
> 1.3, we would also need elliptical Diffie-Hellmans, I think.
>
> Levente, would you be willing to fold your work into Cryptography?

The reason why I created a separate package was that I found the
Cryptography package too bloated. Cryptographic hash functions seem to be
more commonly needed than ciphers, CSPRNGS, ASN1, etc.

It is possible to replace HashFunction and subclasses from Cryptography
with those in Hasher, but there would be some consequences:
1) Hasher doesn't have MD2 or MD4, but those are obsolete and broken. I
see little to no value rewriting them to satisfy Hasher's HashFunction
requirements, but it shouldn't be too hard to do that.
2) the way instances are created differ. I didn't want to do it the way
it's done in Cryptography's MD5, SHA1, SHA256, where class side #new may
return an object that is not of that class but a subclass. So, I added
instance creation methods to Hasher's HashFunction which return an
instance optimized for the current platform. So, a few methods need to
be changed in Cryptography to use the optimized hash functions.
3) Cryptography would depend on the Registers package.

Levente