[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] SHA512 squeak implementation?

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Fri Mar 13 00:02:08 UTC 2020

See this post: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2020-March/207872.html

> 1) HashFunction should stay in the same package as its subclasses. Why?
> When another package doesn't use any of HashFunction's subclasses, it will
> not use HashFunction. When another package needs a subclass, HashFunction
> has to be present.

No, I see this through the lens of reuse. there may be other packages that wish to extend hashFunction for their own use. AN example would be a SignalEncryption package. It has a HashFunction. So all the class roots belong in the Core package.

> 2) Registers should stay in a separate package. Why?
> They can be used for other things. For example, I've got an unpublished
> package containing various PRNG implementations using it.

That's fine then, please put these classes also in the Core package.

> Does that work for you?

Working our way to the garden.

k, r