[Vm-dev] pthread_setschedparam failed: Not owner

stes stes at telenet.be
Mon Mar 30 08:27:34 UTC 2020

Because I have meanwhile a 64 bit version, I continue to look into this.

First of all, the 64 bit version executable seems to work excellent,
the system is running very responsively, very smoothly.

I run it in RT (realtime class):

bash-4.4$ priocntl -d $$
REAL TIME PROCESSES:
   PID[/LWP]         RTPRI       TQNTM      TQSIG
   8514                0          1000         0
bash-4.4$ bin/squeak Squeak5.3-19431-64bit.image

There's no printf() warning when starting bin/squeak as such.  So there's no
"pthread_setschedparam failed" message , provided I run the process in the
RT class.

The Squeak image works perfectly fine.

I have tried to copied the following code (that was posted by Eliot Miranda
in this discussion thread).

I copied the following in a Transcript window:

        | proc sem |
        proc := [| n |
                       n := 0.
                       [(n := n + 1) even ifTrue:
                              [n := n - 1]] repeat] newProcess.
        sem := Semaphore new.
        [(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait.
          proc terminate.
          sem signal] forkAt: Processor userInterruptPriority.
        proc resume.
        sem wait

Then I select the above and choose from Control-d  "do it" from the menu

Nothing happens.   How is the above code exactly supposed to test anything,
please ??

I don't quite understand the code and how it relates to the heart-beat
thread.

At the UNIX level I can see there are 2 threads or LWP ( light weight
processes) where one is running at a higher priority than the other.

--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-VM-f104410.html