[Vm-dev] Multi-Image Sista VM?

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 1 21:32:21 UTC 2020

> On 2020-05-01, at 11:59 AM, Clément Béra <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The Hydra VM from Igor was doing exactly that.
>
> The Actor model in Newspeak is also somewhat similar to that, though part of the image is shared between threads.

I'm not sure what benefit is anticipated by running multiple images on one vm.

The VM executable is not terribly big, so you don't save a great deal of memory and any sensible OS is likely to be able to share the static code pages at least. For a Cog VM quite a lot of space for the caches and translated code needs to be per-image, so you wouldn't save there.

A VW-like permspace that is treated as read-only can also be shared of course.

So what would the advantages be?

tim
Design simplicity: It was developed on a shoe-string budget.