[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Note on runtime/tcl-8/tcl-openssl which provides tls.h (8f71c4a)

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat May 2 13:36:15 UTC 2020

On 01/05/20 8:16 pm, Tobias Pape wrote:
> I really want to avoid to have user-configural options being
> necessary for a default install.
>
> ./configure should be sufficient to get a working VM regardless of
> operating system.
>
> If that is not the case, we got to change the configure-mechanics.

+1. ./configure serves two purposes - detecting host/toolchain/library
configurations on the fly and handling feature specific variable
settings for a build Makefile. We also have separate files like
plugins.int, plugins.ext etc that go into this Makefile.

It would be better if the second purpose (i.e. feature vars) is
consolidated into a conf file containing simple name=value pairs. Such a
file is much easier to generate or edit from Squeak or platform tools. A
build Makefile can pick up all variable settings from such files. We
won't need separate files like plugins.int, plugins.ext etc.

Regards .. Subbu