[Vm-dev] Multi-Image Sista VM?

Robert robert.withers at pm.me
Sat May 2 18:06:05 UTC 2020

On 5/1/20 2:59 PM, Clément Béra wrote:

> The Hydra VM from Igor was doing exactly that.

Stellar! Could we reintegrate with the latest squeak.cog.spur?

> The Actor model in Newspeak is also somewhat similar to that, though part of the image is shared between threads.

I believe the Newspeak Actors are implemented with local capabilities, from ELib, just as my CapabilitiesLocal package. DoIt:

> Installer ss project: 'Cryptography'; install: 'CapabilitiesLocal'.

works. Both implement a ELib Promise system with async resolution and resolved promise reactor invocation.

Would you be able to say a few words about their use of shared memory, please? As well, what could you mention about their use of promises, regarding Ease of use, understandable code, tips & tricks with promises?

K, r

--
Kindly,
Robert