[Vm-dev] squeak svn down?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed May 6 14:52:29 UTC 2020

Hi Subbu

On Wed, May 06, 2020 at 07:12:17PM +0530, K K Subbu wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Is Squeak SVN server down? I have been getting the following errors for
> quite some time now.
> ----
> Updating 'platforms':
> svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL
> 'http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms'
> svn: E175002: Unexpected HTTP status 408 'Request Timeout' on
> '/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms'
> ----

It seems to be working for me:

  lewis at lewis-Gazelle-Pro:~/squeak/SVN/platforms$ svn info
  Relative URL: ^/trunk/platforms
  Repository Root: http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak
  Repository UUID: fa1542d4-bde8-0310-ad64-8ed1123d492a
  Revision: 3775
  Node Kind: directory
  Schedule: normal
  Last Changed Author: lewis
  Last Changed Rev: 3773
  Last Changed Date: 2019-09-17 23:41:00 -0400 (Tue, 17 Sep 2019)

  lewis at lewis-Gazelle-Pro:~/squeak/SVN/platforms$ svn update
  Updating '.':
  At revision 3775.
  lewis at lewis-Gazelle-Pro:~/squeak/SVN/platforms$

> BTW, is it possible to keep oldTrunk branch in opensmalltalk-vm in sync
> with the platforms part of this SVN repo. It would help keep the load on
> the SVN server down and serve as a fallback. The SVN does carry lot of
> outdated code in under src at the top and in under every platform :-(.
>
> Regards .. Subbu

The oldTrunk branch is many years out of date with respect to SVN trunk.

I should mention that I do have a private git copy of the full up-to-date
SVN repository. If we were to run into problems with SVN access, that
copy could be pushed to GitHub. I've also worked out a way to do the
"SCCS version" update for the VM version labeling on git rather than
SVN, so that is a solveable problem. But I am not interesting in tending
after another git repo as long as SVN remains available on squeakvm.org,
so it's private work for now.