[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] 1a4e3a: Oops, there *are* clients of initGlobalStructure. ...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Fri May 8 17:55:26 UTC 2020

> On 2020-05-08, at 10:36 AM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Has RISC OS been ported to ARMv8?

No, and I doubt it could be. The issue is that a lot of the aspects that made it such a good OS for early ARM machines - easy low-level access, lots of stuff in assembler, etc etc - are very, very, architecture specific. Even a 'simple' thing like handling pre-emptive mutli-tasking and multiple cores is probably forever beyond an event horizon.

It's sad. There are a lot of nice things about the extreme simple model - no crap with permissions, for one example that costs me so much pain on any 'modern' system. Such is 'progress'

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet pressed <START> on the Microwave...