[Vm-dev] Cog on ARM

Boris Shingarov boris at shingarov.com
Sat May 30 20:11:00 UTC 2020

To build the latest Cog VM with the ARM simulation plugins doesn't seem
to work for me.  I thought maybe I had dirty state, so I started from a
clean clone (this is the current tip of the Cog branch, 60973ef):

$ git clone  git at github.com:OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm.git
$ cd opensmalltalk-vm
$ cd build.linux64x64/gdbarm32
$ ./conf.COG
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for working strncmp... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `testsuite/Makefile.in'
$ _

Is this the supposed way?  Has anyone built ARM recently?

I build a fair amount of ARM code somewhat regularly on this machine,
therefore I doubt this is some basic dysfunctionality of my dev environment.

My first reflex was to go and just hack into the problem, but if it
doesn't even go this far out of the box, then I'd expect I am somehow
wrong and I thought I'd ask before digging myself too deep into the
wrong direction.  Also I've been having doubts, if these configure
scripts were broken, people would be complaining?  does anyone do ARM?
(and by that I mean "develop the VM" for which you need the simulator)
Why isn't CI complaining?  does CI only cover Intel?  does CI only cover
production-packaging?