[Vm-dev] Installing high dpi support and backwards compatibility of the VM

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:52:33 UTC 2020

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 12:31 AM Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot,
>
> What would be the consequences of moving the display creation logic
> from DisplayScreen class>>actualScreenSize to beDisplay? If beDisplay
> is called afterwards, it at least should be feasible, right?

I don't know.  There would need to be a design where the semantics of
beDisplay were "Make me the display but set my size to whatever you think
best".  But that's not how the interface is designed.  The interface is
designed as

1. tell Display how big the actual GUI's screen is
      => at this point the actual GUI's screen must be opened to find out
how big it is
2. Display adjusts itself accordingly
3. beDisplay simply records the state that was actually started in 1.

I don't know how to change this order without breaking
backward-compatibility, which is where we came in.  Also, a deBisplay
primitive which reached in and changed the inst vars in Display would be a
really bad thing (IMO).

So it seems to me that we're stuck with the actual GUI's screen being
opened in DisplayScreen class>>actualScreenSize <primitive: 106>

--
best, Eliot