[Vm-dev] it's amazing to me...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Oct 19 19:14:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 10:17:12AM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> to be able to evaluate
>     ByteArray new: 8 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024
> and all it takes is a few seconds.  No drama.
>
> Now to see if I can save and restore an 8Gb image with the new non-stdio
> unix file support.

I might have missed something, but does this mean that you have implemented
file I/O at the file descriptor level as opposed to the FILE* level for
Unix? I have always wondered which approach would give the best real-world
performance, and my guess was that the approach that Andreas used for the
Windows VM (HANDLE aka file descriptor level) is probably better overall.