[Vm-dev] it's amazing to me...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Oct 19 20:55:04 UTC 2020

> On 2020-10-19, at 12:26 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But I take Tim's suggestion of grouping the file pointer and the read/write data in one as a good one

It's definitely a good idea but to do it properly we'd really need to replace the mess that is FileStream. For RISC OS I had to make an absurdly over complicated linked list set up within the VM to deal with translating the FileStream prims to the OS view. As a small bonus it did provide the ability to open a file multiple times (something I find utterly horrific) to cope with the weird way a lot of FieStream works. The good news is that nobody ever found a bug in it, so maybe I got that right.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RWD: Rewind Disk