[Vm-dev] I hate Windows... (off topic)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Sun Sep 20 14:26:44 UTC 2020

Hi Eliot,

It may look strange at first, but it makes sense if you know what
WOW64 means: it is "Windows on Windows-64" and the folder contains the
32 bit libraries for the 32 bit emulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WoW64

System32 has been called like this since the advent of Win32, starting
with Windows 95 and NT. The API is as well still called Win32. The
folder name stays most probably for compatibility reasons, or because
there was no compelling reason to change it.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/949959/why-do-64-bit-dlls-go-to-system32-and-32-bit-dlls-to-syswow64-on-64-bit-windows/950011#950011

Also as the other answers note, an application should not deal with
these directories, and especially not SysWOW64, anyway.

Kind regards,
Jakob