[Vm-dev] Touch/MultiTouch Events

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 18:04:04 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 1:29 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 2020-09-26, at 8:18 AM, ken.dickey at whidbey.com wrote:
> >
> > Your info on pi-top touch display came after I had placed an order for a
> PinePhone.
> >
> > Note that Pine64 makes a PineTab for $200 with touch screen and keyboard:
> >  https://www.pine64.org/pinetab/
> >

> Interesting, though disappointing to have a 720p display. Especially when
> their PineBook Pro is the same price with a HD display etc.

The lower resolution is a reasonable choice in terms of pairing with the
A64 which is a fairly anemic SoC.  The power envelope and price is why they
went with it.  On the laptop, they can get rid of the cell modem (and
associated certification costs), some sensors etc. which gives them more
money to put towards the SoC and display.  It wouldn't surprise me if in a
couple of years they come out with a Pinephone Pro which costs $300-400 to
give them more room to play with higher end hardware.

> > I have no experience with this, just noted the advert while looking at
> PinePhone specs.
>
> That's also an interesting device; with only 2GB ram I suspect that only
> sometihng as compact as Squeak will really run on it. Bit of a difference
> from an ancient IBM project I nearly got hired for where the worry was
> whether an entire 1MB ram was big enough for a Smalltalk.

2GB is plenty of RAM for a handful of running applications... just not a
web browser with 50 open tabs.  The majority of Debian packages (that don't
have full desktop GL or GL ES 3 requirements) run on it including Gimp etc.
Not terribly well, but they do run.

Where Squeak is going to have problems is that it's only able to take
advantage of a single core @ ~1.1GHz and the lack of JIT support.  That's
going to limit you far more than the RAM.

One other not so surprising issue with Pine64 devices is the not great
flash memory performance: ~80MB/s with eMMC, ~20MB/s with microSD.  While
it's not as bad as older Raspberry Pi devices (thanks to the eMMC), it's in
the same class of performance.  You'll feel this when loading things much
more than you're likely to notice the 2GB of RAM.