[Vm-dev] Touch/MultiTouch Events

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Sep 26 19:47:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-26 10:29, tim Rowledge wrote:
..
> That's also an interesting device; with only 2GB ram I suspect that
> only sometihng as compact as Squeak will really run on it. Bit of a
> difference from an ancient IBM project I nearly got hired for where
> the worry was whether an entire 1MB ram was big enough for a
> Smalltalk.

My first computer was an Ithica InterSystems S-100 with 64k of RAM and
one 8" floppy.  Remember when floppy disk media really was floppy?  [You
can see their ad in the Byte St-80 issue]

When I got an Amiga with 1MB ram, that was infinite.  I believe it
booted w realtime kernel and window system from 256K EPROM. I had WSWIG
editing, music and animation tools. I ported a Scheme compiler (compiled
to 68k native).  20MB hard disk.

Going from floppy to 10 or 20MB hard drives changed the way we worked!

The Apple Newton, my first ARM device, had a 1/2 MB of static ram (but
4MB of EPROM!).

Remember Dr. Dobbs: "running lite without overbite"?

Hey, one foot in front of another..
-KenD