[Vm-dev] binary configuration to make finding VM easier?

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Mon Sep 28 22:07:17 UTC 2020

Hi Tim, ...

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 9:24 pm, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> Hi Marcel, Fabio -
>
> Yup, that's the set of pages I've been using, and the cause of my
> irritation. What we get is that list of build (or build attempts more
> correctly) and the results of any successful builds. What we *don't* get is
> any list of the latest successful build for all the options.
>
> So for example when I was looking at the 202009262121 entry, it has barely
> any listed completed builds. That's a perfectly good way to show what
> happened on that particular run BUT offers no help if one is wanting the
> most recent squeak.cog.cpur ARM32 linux build.
>
> Somewhere, somehow, I'd love to have a way of seeing a list of the most
> recent successful builds for each platform/option, even if it turns out
> that the one I want is six months old - indeed, having a list like that
> seems like a pretty useful way to have an at-a-glance view of problems. I
> was hoping that there is a provided bintray page to show that sort of
> thing. If it isn't providable by bintray perhaps someone knows of clever
> tricks to make such a list visible on our own download page?

I guess we could use Bintray's API to find the files you are looking for,
but I do believe this would solve the wrong problem. I consider everything
we have on Bintray temporary, the only stable VM binaries are on Github
attached to the release tags. If a binary in a Bintray version is missing,
the corresponding build failed. That is something that should not happen.
So...

- If the build is flaky, we must invest in making it more robust.
- If the build failed due to an error, it must be fixed immediately.
- If we can no longer support the build, we must drop it.
- If you need newer VMs than what we have officially released on Github, we
must do VM releases more often.

Fabio