[Vm-dev] [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] CogVM source as per VMMaker.oscog-eem.3047 (12b0d50)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 24 16:51:44 UTC 2021

> On 2021-08-23, at 11:58 PM, Eliot Miranda <notifications at github.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Tim,
>
> > On Raspberry Pi 4 v8 it compiles cleanly but appears to be ~10% slower on the tinybenchmarks. I know they're not exactly high-value tests but the difference is noticeable
>
> I have reason not to believe this. In all the recent changes, no change has been made to the code generated for tinyBenchmarks. And I’m confident that the other changes made (save the now fixed regression) yield significant speed ups. Is there any other reason the timings could have changed?

I truly have no ideas here. Today that same VM is reporting numbers that are more in line with what I expect (ie 790&54 instead of 820&56) that could be trivial sampling error/aliasing. Yesterday it was wildly leaping between 720&54 to 320&26. No readily apparent reason; the temperature log wasn't fluctuating, the throttling wasn't being triggered, the cpu usage log wasn't suggesting anything stealing time, nothing like that.

tim
Useful random insult:- Several nuts over fruitcake minimum.