[Vm-dev] unix SqueakSource socket 'too many open files' problem

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Fri Feb 26 07:40:17 UTC 2021

> On 26. Feb 2021, at 05:04, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2021-02-25, at 3:17 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>>
>> Assuming you have access to the server, the best place to start
>> is by looking in the directory /proc/<pid>/fd/* (where <pid> is
>> the process ID of the Squeak VM (you can find it with something
>> like "$ ps -aef | grep squeak"). If you look at that once a day
>> for a week, you will be able to see a growing number of file
>> descriptors hanging around. Eventually it gets to be too many,
>> and bad things happen.
>
> After an hour or so there are 350 entries in that directory, virtually all sockets. I imagine somehow something has caused an issue that ... well, no idea. Pretty sure it isn't going to last for a week at this rate!

Maybe sockets the other end closed but we did not notice, so hang on to them.
I'm quite sure I saw that not too few times when caring for Seaside on Squeak.
There was often something strange with the sockets going on when the talking
between browser and Seaside was already done but somehow the Squeak hang on to
the socket…

Best regards
	-Tobias