[Vm-dev] VectorEnginePlugin (was: VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-dtl.3004.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 28 19:22:46 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 09:14:15PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 27, 2021 at 4:59 PM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Eliot,
> >
> > That would be better, although I was in a "minimally invasive surgury"
> > frame of mind :-)
> >

> OK, but don't be afraid to :-)
>
> > My goal was/is to enable VectorEnginePlugin to be included in our
> > standard VMs. For that, I think it is important that the C code
> > generation should work with VMMaker.oscog. The Cuis-generated C
> > source already works well, but we also should be able to generate
> > and compile it from VMMaker.oscog for ongoing maintenance.
> >
> > I sent a patch to Juan on the Cuis list to address a code inlining issue:
> > https://lists.cuis.st/mailman/archives/cuis-dev/2021-July/003473.html
> >
> > That patch on the Cuis side, along with the sizeOfIntegralCType: patch
> > here, result in a VectorEnginePlugin that can be generated from
> > VMMaker.oscog and compiled in the normal opensmalltalk-vm builds.
> >

> Cool.  LMK when there's a repo I can load it from.

I put up a MC repo at http://www.squeaksource.com/VectorEnginePlugin.

As of this morning, the latest version VectorEnginePlugin-dtl.10.mcz
can be used for code generation from VMMaker.oscog.

I did find one remaining issue today. I have been testing with the
build.debug configuration on Linux, and the resulting VM with
VectorEnginePlugin works fine with Juan's latest VectorGraphics.
However, when I built with build/mvm rather than build.debug/mvm
the plugin does not work (blank screen when I run the same Cuis
image).

Presumably the -O compiler optimization needs to be set more
conservatively for this plugin. I'll look into this as soon as
I can.