[Vm-dev] Eliot, need your eyes on this issue please (Fix include order (#562))

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 4 02:12:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 11:54:16AM -0700, Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> This enables the linux builds again, while preserving windows and macos builds.
> That is a fix for https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/560
>
> If this is compatible with TERF VM, then it should be merged ASAP, the builds are red for too long.
> (we'll have to inquire next point of failure...)
>
> You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:
>
>   https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/562

Builds for the opensmalltalk-vm for Unix/Linux have been broken since
February 8, 2001. The commit that caused the initial breakage is:

    commit aafcb78371c7e576073a8dbf2f1f32667568e05e
    Author: Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
    Date:   Mon Feb 8 20:49:07 2021 -0800

All subsequent versions remain broken, and it has not been possible to
build a VM for Linux since that time.

The commit notice includes the following request:

    I ask anyone wishing to alter the system here to please contact me and discuss
    before making changes.  It is extraordinarily expensive and frustrating to have
    to make changes of this kind to make sure that a signfiicantly more complex VM
    such as Terf's builds correctly.

In April 2021, Nicolas worked through the issues necessary to resolve
this problem.  He provided platforms and src fixes on GitHub in the
fix_include_order branch, along with VMMaker.oscog-nice.2957 in the
VMMaker inbox to provide the necessary code generation fix.

Technically, what we need next is:
  1) Merge Nicolas' VMMaker fix into VMMaker.oscog, regenerate sources, commit to GitHub
  2) Merge the fix_include_order branch into Cog

But we would also like to honor Eliot's request to review such changes
before committing.

Eliot, could you please take a look at this and comment?