[Vm-dev] Reed Solomon plugins & performance slow down

Robert Withers robert.withers at pm.me
Sun Jun 6 11:53:26 UTC 2021

Alright, Eliot! I finally got the changes made. You know that time when you have 2 images and you do the work in one and forget, then delete that one and have to recode all those changes? Exactly.

Nonetheless, I got the changes made and did a test of creating a ByteArray in a primitive/computation method:

> #fecAddOrSubtractPolySelfCoefficients:selfCount:otherCoefficients:otherCount:.

In my case, I decided to create the result ByteArray in the computation method and return the resultOop to the primitive for #methodReturnValue:. Here is the primitive, followed by the computation method. This seems to work as I compiled and tested it. One consideration is that if we are in a primitive and call another, like happens in the decode methods, then I must remember to #interpreterProxy firstIndexableField: resultOop to access the array again (pass as argument to yet another compute method, for instance). Is this the best approach?

> resultOop := self
> fecAddOrSubtractPolySelfCoefficients: selfCoefficients
> selfCount: selfCount
> otherCoefficients: otherCoefficients
> otherCount: otherCount.
>
> ^ interpreterProxy failed
> ifTrue: [interpreterProxy primitiveFail]
> ifFalse: [interpreterProxy methodReturnValue: resultOop].

And the computation method

> resultOop := interpreterProxy
> instantiateClass: interpreterProxy classByteArray
> indexableSize: (selfCount max: otherCount).
> result := interpreterProxy firstIndexableField: resultOop.
>
> ^ resultOop

---
Kindly,
Robert