[Vm-dev] (Rescued) Re: Copy Down to avoid Looking Up

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Thu Mar 18 15:28:31 UTC 2021

HI Gerald,

Thanks for the feedback.

I am aware of Virtual Function Tables, Sparse Array index compression,
lots of strategies for Dynamic Dispatch, many I have used to implement
various object systems.

One can arrange the hash/ID of selectors, classes, and method tables.

I am looking for something which is space compact, simple to explain,
runtime efficient, supports dynamic updates, and "fails softly" (an
"imperfect hash" still works in a Dictionary).  Also, deals with
polymorphism and super and does not require an expensive #isSubclassOf:
test.

My thought with "Copy Down" is that while loading a bunch of code, one
can build simple method dictionaries, then apply a #deepRehash after the
load.  This could be done to affected method dictionaries each time a
method is accepted during development as UI's (i.e. users) are slow.

The #deepRehash for each method dictionary could use simple trials to
generate a compact table/array and set the hash for a method Dictionary
so that (<selector> hash) <logical-op> (<mtable> hash>) finds the
<selector>'s method without collisions.

The #deepRehash only requires local knowledge (all used selectors are
known), not a global analysis to renumber classes or selectors.

Perfect hash would be something competitive, speed wise, with PICs but
does not require cache management or inline code changes.  With lookup
in only one table/dict one does not need to traverse the class hierarchy
on a miss, because lookup never misses (DNU in every table which is
answer on not found -- separate lookup if invoker wants nil instead).

A bit of work to craft hashfun creation, but seems worthwhile.  And an
interesting problem to work on. :)

The idea seems simple enough that I suspect someone has looked at this
strategy.

If this is a really bad idea, I don't have to spend any more thing
thinking about it or worse, actually doing something.  ;^)

Thanks again,
-KenD