[Vm-dev] regression: TestObjectsAsMethods crash in 4.19.5 (not in 4.16.7)

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Sun Mar 21 07:18:59 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 10:37 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 03:05:29PM +0100, stes at PANDORA.BE wrote:
> >

> > If a good solution exists, it's better of course than a quick
> > (and possibly) wrong short term solution ...
> >
> > Thanks for having looked into this.
> >
> > David Stes
> >

> Hi David,
>
> I found a "good enough" solution. Sources are updated in SVN r3799.
>
> Dave

Wow, I didn't realize until just now you're still maintaining the
interpreter sources on SVN. I mean I knew you did it somewhere, I just
never bothered to look at it 😳

Also found your VMMaker-dtl.423 with the changes. I just did the same hack
in SqueakJS. It was good enough to not crash the image anymore.

I also had to add a VMMaker version to vm attribute 1004, because of
ImageSegmentTest>>testSelectors 😬

Then 2 out of 3 objects-as-methods test were working, the 3rd one revealed
a bug, with the second line in testAddNumbers erroring.

Tracking that one down was slightly tricky because it looked like it had to
do with the perform. But after banging on it for a while, I found that if
the method/object was found in the cache, the current message selector
global would not be updated. The only place where that is used is in
primitiveInvokeObjectAsMethod. 😜

Now all 3 tests are green. Yay! Thanks for the original report, David S!

- Vanessa -