[Vm-dev] GitHub actions build artifacts...

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Sat Nov 27 08:22:44 UTC 2021

Hey

> On 27. Nov 2021, at 06:00, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> - I have no idea what the 'DOI' badge is about, even after clicking on it.

Yeah that's a researcher and scientists thing.
DOIs make it easier to formally cite things in publications.
And the service at Zenodo (a repository for papers and other artifacts that are important in scientific communities)
let's one easily put stuff from GitHub in a persistent, citable manner.
They have essentially an eternally frozen snapshot of every release we do or so, for the people after us to look at.

And the DOI there is a persistent identifier.

Fun fact: a DOI can also quickly help people who use LaTeX and BibTeX to make papers:

$ curl -LH "Accept: application/x-bibtex" https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5148866

@misc{https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.5148866,
  doi = {10.5281/ZENODO.5148866},
  url = {https://zenodo.org/record/5148866},
  author = {Miranda, Eliot and Cellier, Nicolas and Lorenzano, Esteban and Pape, Tobias and {Ronie Salgado} and Niephaus, Fabio and {AndreasRaab} and {Johnmci} and {Akgrant} and Rowledge, Tim and Dickey, Ken and Grant, Alistair and Felgentreff, Tim and Stes, David and Taeumel, Marcel and Thiede, Christoph and Freyther, Holger and {Piumarta} and {Smalltalking} and Blondeau, Vincent and {CyrilFerlicot} and Bera, Clement and Freudenberg, Vanessa and {Guille Polito} and Tesone, Pablo and {Demarey} and Shingarov, Boris and {Kksubbu} and {, Laura} and Reschke, Jakob},
  title = {OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm: latest-debug-build},
  publisher = {Zenodo},
  year = {2021},
  copyright = {Open Access}
}