[Vm-dev] ulimit rat-rio setting (was Re: [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Do not use linux-latest runner, use an older stable version. (#598))

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Wed Sep 29 11:50:12 UTC 2021

Hi,

So on my ubuntu derived system, if I put
/etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf in place, reboot the system, and
log in it does work.  Rebooting the system is key in my case because
the window manager login process only reads squeak.conf when
restarted.

So this means that we are stuck with different choices of config files
in /etc/pam.d that might, or might not, have to be changed to make
this work.  And which files will be window manager dependent etc.

This is not a good plan to throw at our users.   Modifying the
contents of /etc/pam.d is fraught with problems if you don't know what
you are doing.  In fact it is fraught with problems even if you do.
Everytime I have to do this I make sure that I have a root shell
already on the system so that I can unfoobar the system when I break
it.

I would vote that we get rid of this complaint and document somewhere
the limits.d/squeak.conf idea.  I suspect that most people who use
squeak with a display do not have heavily loaded systems and it is
only useful for those of us who run servers.    And if they ever ask
we have documentation.

One place we could stick this is in the About squeak dialog.   Call
it FAQ?

cheers

bruce

On 2021-09-29T08:24:23.000+02:00, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de>