[Vm-dev] ulimit rat-rio setting (was Re: [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Do not use linux-latest runner, use an older stable version. (#598))

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 15:28:52 UTC 2021

Tobias,

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:59 AM Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>

> > On 29. Sep 2021, at 15:59, Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A tangential FYI: the Debian packaging will be taking care of this as
> part of the installation.
>
> that's what I hoped for.

You can see all of the 'global' system changes I'm making in the common
package currently at https://github.com/pbella/squeak-common

> >  Currently it installs the /etc/security/limits.d/squeak.conf file and
> I'll look into adding the pam.d part as well.
>
> Noooo don't change pam_d stuff. :D
> Debian has now its own pam management stuff and we should not mess with it.

Don't worry, that's why I only said I'd look into it.  I won't try to slam
a generic PAM config as part of the install as I know we'd need to tread
carefully here.

> I was actually only curious whether tim's /etc/pam.d/* contains a
> reference to pam_limits, to see whether limits are applied in the first
> place.
> Since a reboot helped, the answer is, yes, pam_limits applied.
>
> So let's not get ahead of ourselves and let pam be :)

All I was thinking is that perhaps I could drop a squeak file in /etc/pam.d
with any (perhaps commented out?) settings that apply to the VM along with
any relevant documentation.  So basically keep it non-invasive but try to
provide a pointer if this is a source of potential issues.  I'd also need
to check Debian policy to see if this is something that should even be done
as I know PAM is a touchy area re: system security and may have specific
policy considerations.

> > Of course if there's a way to get the functionality without the config
> tweaking, that would be even better.  If not, well that's one of the many
> reasons we have packages ;-)
>
> Exactly.
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias