[Vm-dev] ulimit rat-rio setting (was Re: [OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm] Do not use linux-latest runner, use an older stable version. (#598))

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Thu Sep 30 17:57:45 UTC 2021

I'd still quite like for us to discover & document why the setting has no effect under the (relatively) normal circumstance of a machine that boots straight into a user's account and yet does work if you ssh into your own machine. That seems like a pretty dumb setup somehow.

I note that the list of /etc/pam.d file on my Pi is larger than on the ubuntubox and includes a couple that look 'suspicious' - lightdm* and vncserver.

Bruce, you mentioned that it works on your ubuntu 18 machine - what do you have for a window server? What do you have in your /etc/security & /etc/pam.d directories?

I (according to old notes that may not be reliable!) loaded http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/releases/18.04/release/ and chose 'Basic Ubuntu server', then added xfce4 and vncserver.  I had previously tried the default Ubuntu UI but, wow, much ugly, so nasty.

tim
—
Give a man a compliment, he’ll feel good for a day.
Teach a man to fish for compliments and he’ll never feel good enough for the rest of his life.