[Vm-dev] [squeak-dev] [crash] segmentation violation on window resize

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Apr 27 11:37:45 UTC 2022

Hi Lauren, hi all --

Okay, I give up on this for now. I cannot reliably reproduce the issue.

My only hypothesis is that we do something wrong with freeing the current Metal texture in sqSqueakOSXMetalView.m:449. Maybe we should tell the Metal framework about this and not just free the pointer... Reading the Metal documentation might help...

At least, the segfault always occurs in the same situation:

1. App window size changed.
2. Morphic ui process detects this via DisplayScreen class>checkForNewScreenSize
3. The next call to DisplayScreen(Form)>boundingBox triggers a vmIOProcessEvents() in the regular interpreter loop via checkForEventsMayContextSwitch().
4. A display event will be processed ending up in sqSqueakOSXMetalView loadTexturesSubRectangle:
5. The texture update fails in sqSqueakOSXMetaView.m:439.

Nothing of that is out of the ordinary. The tuple (displayBits, displayWidth, displayHeight) seems correct. This leaves the way we free the old texture and allocate a new one.

Best,
Marcel