[Vm-dev] ExtendedClipboardInterface and ClipboardExtendedPlugin state?

Juan Vuletich JuanVuletich at zoho.com
Tue Jan 4 19:53:53 UTC 2022

On 1/4/2022 3:26 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2022 at 8:14 AM Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com
> <mailto:eliot.miranda at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Vanessa,
>
>>     On Jan 3, 2022, at 1:03 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg
>>     <vanessa at codefrau.net <mailto:vanessa at codefrau.net>> wrote:
>>

>>     In the OLPC days this plugin enabled copy/paste of objects,
>>     pictures. and rich text on all platforms (Mac/Win/X11).
>>
>>     E.g. you could copy/paste a morph from one image to another
>>     simply by bringing up its halo, pressing cmd-c, and pressing
>>     cmd-v in the other image. All its scripted behavior (Etoys
>>     scripts) would be transferred with it. If instead you pasted that
>>     morph into a word processor, it would insert a bitmap rendering
>>     of the morph.
>>
>>     Similarly you could copy a picture from a web browser and paste
>>     it directly into Squeak. Or copy syntax-highlighted source code
>>     from Squeak into an email.
>>
>>     I'm not entirely sure how much of the machinery made into Squeak
>>     trunk, but I would guess it's almost all there, might just need
>>     some wiring to hook up properly.
>
>     The basic image classes are there.  But only the Mac vm support
>     machinery made it.  There is no
>     platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin
>     or platforms/win32/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin that I can
>     find.  Where or who can we reach out to to try and locate this code?
>

> The unix plugin is in the interpreter sources:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/ClipboardExtendedPlugin/sqUnixExtendedClipboard.c?view=markup
>
> with the X11 support code in the display plugin:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?revision=3796&view=markup#l2465
> <http://squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/vm-display-X11/sqUnixX11.c?revision=3796&view=markup#l2465>
>
> I don't see the equivalent in win32, possibly I was misremembering
> that it worked on all three platforms (I only ever use Mac and *nix).
>
> Vanessa

I believe I took related code from Sophie. In Cuis you can copy / paste
various things between images and external programs as Vanessa says.
Haven't used it in a long time, though.

The Windows support calls stuff in user32.dll via ffi, i.e. no plugin.
It doesn't support writing to clipboard. I believe Mac and Linux support
is more complete.

--
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org