[Vm-dev] bugs in DeflatePlugin?

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Mon Jan 10 08:41:45 UTC 2022

Hi Florin,

Happy new year and thanks for the bug report! PNGReadWriterTest seems
to pass on TruffleSqueak (although I remember some bug fixing a while
ago). Anyway, I looked into #primitiveZipSendBlock which seems to be
the only sender of #loadZipEncoderFrom:.

While #loadZipEncoderFrom: reads from writeStreamInstSize + 1 and + 2,
which is off by one as you mentioned, #primitiveZipSendBlock stores at
readStreamInstSize + 1 and + 2. And as it happens, readStreamInstSize
seems to be 4 while writeStreamInstSize is 5, which compensates for
the off-by-one error. However, I don't understand why reading from the
wrong positions does not cause the tests to fail. Anyway, I cleaned
this up in TruffleSqueak (see [1]).

Fabio

[1] https://github.com/hpi-swa/trufflesqueak/commit/5b6066b54e03e19ec4c4d2b22550ff081e46f6e6