Decision time (was Re: [Webteam] Frontpage revised)

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Thu Nov 3 08:41:27 CET 2005

Hi!

Eh, please skip the HTML in postings btw - it makes it very hard for me
(I use Celeste).

I wrote:
> Ehm, I have never liked their sites, in any shape or form. Don't know
> what it is, but I really don't. Too cluttered and too many levels and
> too much "enterprise mumbo jumbo" IMHO. And too much on the front page
> too I think. Whatever.

And you:
> I'm not specifically pointing out the content. And, yes, Squeak would
> be different than Java (enterprise, etc.)<br>
> What I'm pointing out is the arrangement, order and topics.

I was actually doing that too. I don't find it easy to navigate at all.
:)

You wrote (regarding pushing "news" items onto the site etc:
> Well.. I've been around a while. And, yeah, it's work. But, that's what
> we signed up for.

Actually, I didn't. :) I am in this team because a) I am the coord for
it and b) because I want the site to be good.
I didn't specifically sign up for being a "news" item collector and
pusher, I will not have the time to spare.

So I think we should either a) make sure we have someone willing or b)
make sure we "suck" these things from one or two other places. IMHO
there is no need to create "yet another feed".

You wrote:
> I went a bit further and suggest the following as what I am trying to
> communicate. I'm not saying that this is it. I follow along Michael's
> idea (which I thought was
> moving in the right direction.) Do we still have Michael's page
> suggestion?

Have?

> Don't get me wrong, I think your text is very good and I don't want to
> lose any of it. I think it would be great on the "Features" page as an
> introduction above the bullets. Just not on the home page.

That has been clear.

> I think we are staring at a great way to attract users of all levels:
> The "Next Steps..." section is a great way to communicate to all
> levels. I changed them a bit below and added the 3 mentioned in an
> earlier msg.

[SNIPPED the proposal]

The proposal is "minimalistic" and I am not sure I like it - as I have
repeatedly said I would wish for the front page to actually have a bit
of content and not just be a link-station (we already have the TOC on
the left so it seems we could in that case leave the front page *blank*
and be done with it. :)).

If the Team (read Jason) decides to go with this minimalistic approach
then I step down from being responsible for the front page and instead
focus on "About" and "Features". The About page would typically take
most of my proposed text for the front page etc.

I then also expect that someone that is pushing the minimalistic
approach steps up for taking over the front page of course.

regards, Göran