[Webteam] PR info for Squeak

Irina Lobo ILobo at nl.edu
Wed Nov 30 04:57:04 CET 2005

I am a faculty member at National Louis University as well as the technology coordinator at a K-8 school in Evanston, IL. I have used Squeak with my students. A colleague and I are working on an article for a technology in education publication. The article is about several multimedia-authoring tools, including Squeak. We would like to provide a concise description of each tool. We can't guarantee that all the information will appear in the article, but we'd like to get the correct information.

Do you have a PR person who could answer these questions? Let me know if I can contact somebody at Squeak for this information. Thank you.
-Irina Lobo
ilobo at nl.edu
847-905-2017

Questions:
1) Can we have permission to print a screen capture of Squeak? Is there one you would like us to use?

2) Here are a couple of quotes from our draft. Can you verify that these are accurate?
Quotes:
"Within CREATE Together and Squeak, for example, students actually participate in object-oriented programming, assigning attributes and actions to objects."

"In Squeak, the tools for each object appear when the object is selected and are hidden when the object is not in use."

"Programs like Squeak allow students to draw their own pictures and then animate them. "

3) Here are some categories of information. Can you look this over for accuracy, fill in blanks, and give us your take on each item? We would love more information on these categories.

Squeak
Title/Contact Information
Squeak - www.squeakland.org

Price: free

Platform: Mac OSX and higher / Win 32 and higher / Unix / RiscOS

Recommended Grade Levels :

Special Features :
- open source code
- active community of users in several countries

Creative Options
- basic drawing tools
- several plug-ins that play and manipulate sound file as well as 2D/3D graphics

Publish/Share:
- active Squeak community, so students in community can share and modify projects online
- Squeak plug-in can be downloaded

Support Materials
- tutorials on www.squeakland.org <http://www.squeakland.org>
- Powerful Ideas in the Classroom by B.J Allen-Conn & Kim Rose
- Squeak: A Quick Trip to Objectland by Gene Korienek, Tom Wrensch, Doug Dechow